With Halloween only days away, everywhere you look, there is going to be candy, from your office to your kid’s school and everywhere in between. Therefore, if you want to make sure you and your children avoid getting cavities, you are going to need to keep in mind a few Halloween dental hygiene tips that will help you protect you and your children’s teeth during the season of ghosts and Jolly Ranchers.
Tips for Protecting Your Kid’s Teeth During Halloween
Per the American Dental Association, here are a few Halloween dental hygiene tips:
- Avoid snacking on sugary treats throughout the day, because it increases your chances of developing cavities.
- Eat Halloween candy and other sugary snacks right after meals. During meals, your saliva production increases. The increased saliva in your mouth helps rinse food particles away from your teeth and cancel out the acids that the bacteria in your mouth produces.
- Avoid hard candy, because it stays in your mouth for a long time. The longer a sugary food stays in your mouth, the greater the chances it contributes to tooth decay. You should also avoid sticky candies for this same reason.
- Drink fluoridated water, because it helps prevent tooth decay. Also, chew sugarless gum with the ADA seal. Chewing gum for 20 minutes following meals helps prevent tooth decay.
- Avoid sugary beverages, such as soda, flavored waters and sports drinks, because it increases your chances of tooth decay.
Smile Center Dental has been providing individuals and families in Austin, Round Rock and throughout Central Texas with high quality general, pediatric and cosmetic dental services for 20 years.